Tuesday 24 March 2015

What we learnt about Isla this weekend...



As the title suggests I feel like I learnt a lot about my sweet little Isla this weekend. Tom and I decided to take a trip up north away from our home in Hertfordshire to visit some of my family. I haven't mentioned in any of my previous posts that Tom is in the RAF and his family live in  Cornwall and a majority of my family live very close to us, but my mums side all live in Hull and Liverpool. We have decided this year we needed to make the most of my maternity leave and visit these places and our wonderful families as much as we can because we hate the idea of anyone missing out on Islas precious first year!

We set of on Friday which I was already anxious about due to the Friday traffic and as Tom had to go into work in the morning we wouldn't be leaving until 12. For some unknown reason I decided to pack on the Friday morning (What a tw*t) I spent a majority of the time running around like a headless chicken packing anything baby related in sight because obviously Isla is going to need 10 bibs for a three day trip.. (she used 5/10 bibs) once we had finally packed up all of our stuff it was 1pm by the time we had left. The journey takes around 3 hours but as Isla is only meant to be in her car seat for 2 hours at a time we had decided to travel for an hour and half and stop for some lunch and then continue on our way. The biggest lesson I learnt about Isla this weekend is that she is indeed a very good traveller, she slept the whole way minus the stop for a feed where she happily cooed and smiled away at Tom and I (god damn she so cute when she does that)

As we only had a short time in hull (Friday-Sunday) we had a lot of people to see but I couldn't go up to Hull and not visit The Deep. The Deep is pretty much my favourite place to go when I visit Hull as the oceans and sea life fascinates me. Tom had never been and Isla had never been to an Aquarium so we decided to use the Saturday morning and go. I naively thought my 2 month old baby would stay awake and look at the fish but the next lesson I learnt is that  Isla will sleep the whole way through the aquarium and only wake when we got to the cafĂ© at the end (better luck next time) We then spent the rest of our day visiting my family and showing Isla of and honestly she is so unbelievably loved, everyone is infatuated with her. Before we knew it Sunday morning had arrived and it was time to pack up our things and try not to forget anything. Before we left we visited one of my mums friends pubs for a Sunday carvery (we couldn't travel on an empty stomach could we) I love my food, especially a roast and I'm very fussy with how I like it but I can honestly say WOW, it was delicious and we will be going back when we visit at the end of May. The journey home is always the worst because you just want to get back and settle back into your normal surroundings but once again Isla slept the whole way, only waking at the service station for a feed. Oh and the service station out of all of the ones we could of chosen from was DISGUSTING! It was a Little Chef Express and a Burger King and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in all the years it had been there. Isla decided to have an explosive nappy situation (Thanks Isla) and the baby changing/disable toilet was so dirty I felt I needed to be disinfected after.

Overall we had a wonderful weekend away but next time I think we would need one more day as doing so much travelling in a short space of time was pretty exhausting. We are going to Cornwall for Easter and that journey is around 5/6 hours so Hull was a practice run for us. Thank you my darling Isla for being such a good girl pretty much always (I hope I don't jynx us now) I was thinking about doing a travelling with your 2 month old post showing all the things we needed for Isla while we were away so if anyone would like to see something like that let me know in the comments below!



No comments:

Post a Comment